Upper Hill School/ Lord Delamare
The Legendary Wall | Past & Present Upper Rugby Names
All Upper Hill High School Past & Present Fans
In 1925, Lord Delamere and Sir Edward Grigg, then Governor of Kenya, separated the European Nairobi School into a senior boys’ school (Prince of Wales School), a senior girls’ school (Kenya High School) and a junior school (Nairobi Primary School).
The Highway Secondary
The school was created as an Asian school for O-level boys and co-ed A-level (girls and boys) on 19 February 1962. This was concurrent with the conversion of Ngara Girls’ High School a boy’s and girls school into an all-girls school. The headmaster along with all the male teaching staff and the boys were moved to the site of the present school location
Nairobi School/Prince of Whales
The Nairobi School is a national secondary school in Nairobi, Kenya. It was founded in 1902 by the British settlers who had made Nairobi their home after the construction of the Uganda Railway. In 1925, Lord Delamere and Sir Edward Grigg, then Governor of Kenya, separated the European Nairobi School into a senior boys’ school (Prince of Wales School), a senior girls’ school (Kenya High School) and a junior school (Nairobi Primary School).
In 1931, a new school was built on the 1-square-kilometre (250-acre) site at Kabete, the main school buildings being designed by Herbert Baker. The school was then named the Prince of Wales School but, in 1965, following Kenya’s independence the school was renamed Nairobi School. The school is popularly referred to as ‘Patch’.
Lenana School/ The Duke of York School
Lenana School is a Secondary School in Nairobi, Kenya. It was formed in 1949 by colonial governor Philip Euen Mitchell, known then as the Duke of York School, named after a British World War II King George V-class battleship (1939). The actual bell from HMS Duke of York can still be seen mounted on a bell-shed at the front school parade ground between the school chapel and the hall. The first students were briefly housed at the then British colonial Governor’s House which is the current State House as they waited for the school’s completion. The founding principal/headmaster was R. H. James.
The school was renamed Lenana School in 1969 after the central person in the interaction of the Maasai with invading British imperialists and spiritual leader of the Maasai, Laibon Lenana, around the end of the 19th century through to the early 20th century. The first Kenyan headmaster (principal) of the school was Mr. James Kamunge. The referral to old students of the school changed from the phrase Old Yorkist to Laibons the latter being a title given to religious figures of the Maasai. A picture of Lenana painted by a student artist called Sam Madoka can be seen hanging next to the steps that lead to the 2nd floor of the administration block.